Global Justice Ecology Project will be working with Jeff Conant, an award winning journalist, as a media liaison to deliver daily news from the World Peoples’ Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth on April 19th – April 22nd in Cochabamba, Bolivia.
Please check our blog daily for the latest on this historic event.
The World People’s Conference on Climate Change has been called by Bolivia as a response to the failure of COP15. As one of the few countries that openly criticised the negotiations in Copenhagen and has refused to sign the Copenhagen Accord, Bolivia has invited governments, organisations and people to take part in finding solutions to fight climate change. We do not expect for this conference to provide a solution, but we will use the space to engage, learn and share with movements from around the globe in order to show solidarity, build our movements and develop alternatives.
The World Peoples’ Conference on Climate Change and Mother Earth Rights objectives are the following:
1. Analyze the structural and systemic causes of climate change and propose substantive measures that facilitate the well-being of all mankind in harmony with nature.
2. Discuss and agree the draft Universal Declaration of rights of Mother Earth.
3. To agree on proposals for new commitments to the Kyoto Protocol and projects for a COP Decision under the United Nations Framework for Climate Change that will guide future actions in those countries that are engaged with life during climate change negotiation
4. Work on the organization of a people’s world referendum on climate change.
5. Analyze and draw up a plan of action to advance the establishment of a Climate Justice Tribunal;
6. Define strategies for action and mobilization in defense of life against climate change and for mother earth rights.